Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Cleanup 2011

In the last couple of days I've returned to necessary steps in removing clutter from my surrounds. Last year I managed to finally relinquish my hold on the majority of my books, thanks to the lure of giving to Lifeline. This year I intend to add CDs and games to my donations, to further clear my bulging shelves.

Today I sent on their way most of my defunct electronics: a 3-in-1 stereo which had become a 0.5-in-1, my last VCR, my MiniDisc deck and a flaky DVD player, plus all my VHS and audio tapes and MiniDiscs.

I also finally threw away all my Uni notes and assignments, none of which I've referenced since the end of my degree in 1996.

Next on the list:
  • going through the many boxes that made the move to my house almost 13 years ago, and have remained closed ever since,
  • disposing of a whole second house's worth of furniture,
  • scanning/photographing anything I don't really need to physically hang on to and getting rid of it.
By the end of it I can only assume that the past's hold on me will be eased somewhat, giving me a little more impetus to target my thinking towards the future.

2 comments:

  1. Stuff can really weigh you down. But I am conflicted about it, not just because I love my stuff (not all of it anyway) but also because I like to dispose of things carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's definitely not easy. Electronics in particular are still hard to dispose of well. Mostly the stuff I'm discarding falls into the recycling arena though, so that eases a little stress :)

    ReplyDelete