Sunday, September 24, 2006

[DVD] Battlestar Galactica 2.0

After re-watching all of (the new) Doctor Who (Series 1) and thoroughly enjoying the mix of humour, drama, accents and whiz-bang effects, it took me a few episodes to get back into Galactica-mode.

At the end of the first season, they'd started to inject a little levity into the scripts but this is a return to dark and gritty, humankind in peril stuff. Which, after I acclimatised, became very compelling and I definitely got caught up in the story. Not always comfortable viewing, and therefore not likely to appear on my watch-again list (I like my "drama" interspersed with craziness/comedy, ala Scrubs, X-Files, Threshold, etc.).

If you dug S1, this second installment will certainly not disappoint. Awesome space battle scenes alone (with a more "real" CGI style I'll always associate with Firefly) made it impressive to watch, and the acting is consistently powerful, making me care what happens to the characters. Throw in guest appearances by Michelle Forbes and Dean Stockwell, and you've got a nice little package.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, dark and gritty, I like the sound of that. Sometimes I wonder if liking dark gritty stuff is a luxury because my life is cushy. I may one day try to explain this thought better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh BG I love it so - the previews of season 3 indicate yet more 'pee my pants' action and can't wait for the pirates to start downloading...

    ReplyDelete