Wednesday, May 03, 2006

[TV] Deep Space Nine

This morning I finished watching the seventh (and final) season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, my favourite of all the Trek installments. I enjoyed it even more than when I originally watched all the episodes either on TV or on VHS tapes my sister bought, when it looked like WIN would never get through the whole lot. The fact that DS9 was always darker in tone (about half of it had a quadrant-wide war going on) and had so many diverse, fully fleshed-out characters made it seem more real a future than the other "boldly going" flavours. It was about imperfect people working together to better themselves and their world, rather than an already perfect civilisation encountering others who weren't quite so civilised. Each season better than the previous one, I'm glad this is the one Star Trek series I own on DVD.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, that sounds freakishly similar to your description of survivor.... hehe
    I like DS9, but I must say I'm more of a Voyager girl =)
    Ooh, I wonder if there's a blogthing for that... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never committed to anything beyond next gen, but I did really like the bits I saw of DS9 and will probably borrow it from you at some stage. We need to remain friends for many more years for me to get through all the DVDs I plan to watch, 'kay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it! I knew that all this time you only liked me for my DVDs and you've finally slipped up and admitted it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Survivor is actually crazy people backstabbing each other for the slim chance of $1 million. Much like Big Brother, The Apprentice, ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a Voyager fan I must admit (but missed the last few episodes so I have no idea what happened in the 'end' - sigh!). I have always been intrigued by DS9 as I have heard many good things about it. We may have to have a DS9 marathon.
    Bertie - of course we only like you for your DVD collection - thought we mentioned that when we first became friends... oh yeah, that was before dvds were invented... it was some other reason then ... but now, yep pretty much in it for the dvds *grin*
    You also need to develop an addiction to Battlestar and (glup) Grey's Anatomy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't seen the end of Voyager either (I get to see about 10 episodes a year on video at my family's place, in the weeks when there's no other Thu TV viewing).

    If my family doesn't get Battlestar S1 soon I may have to splurge, 'cause I was very impressed with the pilot.

    As for Grey's Anatomy, I have resisted entirely, despite being a big Katherine Heigl fan.

    ReplyDelete