Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The buck stops ... over there

The second of 3 rants, written on the same night in an attempt to get some sleep. Imagine what I'd be like if I actually watched/read/listened to any news!

There are continuing displays of a shameful lack of personal accountability in a number of our most senior public officials, the AWB scandal just being the latest of these. This affair alone shows that our "leaders" are either:

(a) utterly incompetent, remaining intentionally unaware of matters within their scope of responsibility, or
(b) unapologetically dishonest, uttering lies with arrogance and impunity.

Certainly scapegoats will be found, individuals who may be partly to blame or may just be victims of attempting to manoeuvre the webs of deceit which continue to grow outwards from the Prime Minister and his Cabinet.

3 comments:

  1. They don't even need convincing scapegoats. I'm convinced that a large part of the problem is that we don't expect to like, admire, trust or be inspired by our politicians.

    'The West Wing' as a fantasy show has a lot of answer for, as I can feel a rant of my own coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that's the closest i've been to seeing angry bertie =S hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably best not get me started - I could rant all day and well into the night (I fear my teeth may actually fall out I have been grinding them so much). You are lucky that you haven't been watching the news - if I see or hear any more of the current Bush and Howard conservative love-in / arse kissing extravaganza I will throw up.

    Liv has articulated my long held belief that Howard and his evil empire are feed by low expectations of the public - we expect politicians to lie so we are largely ho-hum when they do.

    In a weird pop-culture link - a similar principle works on Survivor... those lovable castaways ;) are always less likely give the final prize to a manipulative lying woman than a manipulative lying man - both men and women are more 'forgiving' men who lie because we buy into the 'all men are liars' credo and are much less forgiving of women.

    Feel free to pick this theory apart but if you watched the first season, the men v. women season and the last series you may see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete