Friday, January 27, 2006

[DVD] Dead Like Me - Season 1

A real gem that my sister discovered for me, all 14 episodes of which I devoured in a few days. All the characters have genuine depth, and the actors that bring them to life use all the many opportunities the concept provides to create people I actually cared about. I won't actually say much about the concept itself, since my favourite part of watching a new show is working out what the hell is going on, other than to say that it's a really interesting take on death, grief, life, monotonous office work and family. The emotions are often powerfully involving, the coarse language is "in context" (i.e. it sounds to me like real people talking) and Mandy Patinkin is one of the main players, so how can you go wrong?

Of course, the show has been cancelled now, like any other quality TV, but luckily not before a second season was produced, so at least I have the promise of another 15 episodes to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment